Academic Success Center Services

Academic Success Center (ASC)

The ASC offers a number of services to help students succeed at ISU:

  • Academic coaching.  One-on-one meetings with students to help evaluate and correct academic challenges.  Teaches time management, productive use of study time, goal-setting, reading and note taking strategies, overcoming test-taking challenges.  To schedule an appointment call 515-294-6624.  Appointments held in 1060 Hixson-Lied Student Success Center.
  • the Academic Intervention Program provides online help for students put on academic warning / probation.  It can be found in AccessPlus.  Further information for advisers can be found online.
  • MAP Works is an online tool to help students transition to ISU.  The 20 minute assessment identifies areas where students may need additional resources for greater success during their academic career.  Students completing the survey have GPA increased by 0.3 relative to those not taking the survey.
  • Psychology 131 is a one credit, satisfactory / fail class that's designed to facilitate students' development of academic skills, behaviors, and attitudes.  Small class sizes promote group interaction and individual attention.
  • Supplemental Instruction is a free, large-group tutoring session offered three times a week.  Students may attend as little or as much as needed.  A schedule of SI sessions can be found at
  • Tutoring Services offers small-group tutoring for a variety of classes at ISU.  To apply for a tutor go online.  To apply to become a tutor go online. Questions can be answered at

Contact: 1060 Hixson-Lied Student Success Center, (515) 294-6624,,

CALS Career Services

CALS Career Services helps students find jobs, internships, and summer employment.  They host the CALS Career Day and have a database of available jobs.  They can provide specific advice for writing resumes and cover letters, preparing for interviews. and developing job search techniques.  They also offer general career guidance.

​Co-ops help students integrate classroom theory with on-the-job performance.  They're a good way to establish professional contacts and interests.  They can be found through the career services office, career day, and job fairs.

Contact: Career Services, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, 15 Curtiss Hall, (515) 294-4725,,

CALS Student Services

  • Coordinates and Leads:  academic advising, Recruitment and Retention, New Student Orientation, undergraduate multicultural student programs and services, undergraduate commencement and graduation.
  • Evaluates and processes:  requests for waivers and/or exceptions to undergraduate policies and procedures, changes to degree audits, curriculum changes, minor and multiple curriculum forms.

Their web site provides a lot of information for advisors, with links to information on differential tuition, advising, academics, diversity and multicultural, campus and community resources, graduation, degree audits, forms, academic standards, and approved course lists, among other things.  

Contact: 20 Curtiss, (515) 294-5015.

IT Services

IT Services provides on-campus computer labs, offers computer services and repair, and loans out equipment to members of the ISU community free of charge.

​The Solution Center provides direct support for IT Services.  They help faculty, staff, and students at ISU with computing, networking, and software issues.  

Contact: 195 Durham, (515) 294-4000,,

The Center for LGBTQIA+ Student Success

The Center for LGBTQIA+ Student Success develops academic and personal success, community and leadership for lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, queer, intersex, asexual, and allied students. Contact: 1064 Student Services Building, (515) 294-5433,

National Student Exchange (NSE)

The NSE program provides an alternative to studying abroad, allowing students to study at another US institution.  There are NSE campuses in 48 states, 3 United States territories, and 6 Canadian provinces.  The duration of the exchange can range from one semester to one calendar year.  Transferred credits can then be applied toward a degree at ISU.

In order to participate, students must be full-time at the time of application and during the exchange, must have a GPA of 2.5 (out of 4.0), and must be in good financial, academic, and social standing.  The application can be found at

Contact: 1080 Hixson-Lied Student Success, (515) 294-6479,,

Residence Hall Academic Services

Each residence hall floor has a community advisor (CA) that can help direct students to resources on campus.  Also, each residence hall has a live-in hall director that can guide students to resources and help them with their academics.

Student Activities Center

Service Programs include CyServ, Dance Marathon, Alternative Breaks, ISU / Story County Nonprofit Protégé Program, Keep Iowa State Beautiful, Student Volunteer Services, Social Services Volunteer Career Day, College Creek Cleanup.

Leadership Programs include the Emerging Leaders Retreat, Iowa State Freshman Council, ISU Fall Leadership Conference, Iowa State Leadership Experience (ISLE), Leadership ISU, Social Justice Summit, Women’s Leadership Retreat, Leadership and Service Center.

Student Counseling Services (SCS)

SCS is the primary mental health agency for students on the Iowa State University campus.  Staff is available for consultation and outreach programming to student groups and university faculty and staff regarding student needs. Clinical services are offered to enrolled students of ISU free of charge (and partners if couples counseling).

Consultation services are offered to students, faculty, staff, and parents.

If you want to refer someone else to counseling, encourage them to contact SCS for an initial appointment.  Please note that SCS cannot contact someone who has not first contacted them.  If you are concerned for someone else's safety and cannot check on that person yourself, ISU Department of Public Safety will conduct a brief welfare check.  

The first meeting is a walk-in, there is no appointment necessary.  More information can be found at

Contact:  third floor of the Student Services Building, SCS desk 294-5056, Career Exploration Library 294-0742.

Student Accessibility Services (SAS)

SAS works with students with disabilities to have them diagnosed with a disorder by a licensed professional and to help them receive accommodations to better their academic life.  Possible disorders include, but not limited to: anxiety, depression, and attention deficit disorder.  SAS also works with physically-impaired, visually-impaired and hearing-impaired students.

Students are given an Student Academic Accommodations Request form with a list of the accommodations needed.  Accommodations include, but not limited to: extended test time, low distraction rooms, and sign language interpreters.  Exam accommodations may be done by the instructor or the TA or the Exam Accommodations Center (EAC) may make arrangements.  If an instructor chooses to use the testing center, they must fill out an Exam Accommodation Referral form a week before the accommodation is to be made.

Forms can be found on their website at

Contact the Student Accessibility Services Office:  1076 Student Services Building, phone 294-7220, fax 294-2397, TTY 294-6635,,

Contact the Exam Accommodations Center:  1200 Hixson-Lied Student Success Center, phone 294-5197, fax 294-6813,

Student Employment Center (SEC)

Operates the student job board on AccessPlus, which helps students find work-study jobs as well as other jobs on campus and around Ames.  Students may sign up for payroll in the Office of Human Resource Services, Room 3810, Beardshear Hall.

Students can find a job on the Student Job Board by logging in to AccessPlus and then clicking on "Student Job Board."

Contact: 0640 Beardshear Hall, (515) 294-5627,

Student Information Handbook

Contains official University statements and policies on conduct and ethics, equal opportunity and diversity, privacy, residence, solicitation, student organizations, travel, and vehicles.  It's available through the Dean of Students Office at

Student Legal Services (SLS)

SLS is available to students and registered Iowa State University student groups free of charge.  It offers document notarization and provides free legal advice pertaining to family and divorce law, criminal law, tenant-landlord issues, off-campus employment issues, and various other issues.

Contact: 0367 Memorial Union, (515) 294-0978,

Student Support Services

Student Support Services is funded by the US Department of Education and provides support for first generation students, low-income students, students with physical disabilities, and students with learning disabilities.  Participants can receive free individual and group tutoring, peer mentoring, academic advising, financial management assistance, study skills training, personal counseling and special workshops, support for cultural events, and leadership conferences.

Contact: 2010 Student Services Building, (515) 294-0210

Study Abroad Center

The Study Abroad Center provides assistance to students in identifying programs best suited to their needs and interests, prepares students to meet the challenges of an international experience, and develops programs that provide opportunities for students, faculty, and staff to explore other countries.

The center offers passport photos, OPT photos (both printed and electronic), a lending library of travel books and DVDs, peer advisors, Study Abroad Advisors, pre-departure orientation, and logistical and billing assistance for faculty taking groups of students abroad.

Contact: 3224 Memorial Union, 294-6792,,

Thielen Student Health Center (TSHC)

Full-service health center staffed with physicians and advanced registered nurse practitioners.  The Prevention Services department provides leadership for a comprehensive approach to reduce health risks for students, foster a healthy campus environment, and support the academic success of students.  The full-service pharmacy fills regular prescription needs, and stocks a complete line of over-the-counter medications and supplies.  Other services include illness and injury care, women’s health, physical exams, allergy clinic, travel clinic, immunizations, mental health services, physical therapy and sport’s medicine, pharmacy.

Contact:  Thielen Student Health Center, Sheldon Avenue,, appointments (515) 294-5801, after-hours advice (800) 524-6877, pharmacy (515) 294-7983, physical therapy and sports medicine (515) 294-2626, prevention services (515) 294-1868.

Women’s Center, Sloss House

The Margaret Sloss Women's Center promotes the educational, personal, and career development of all university women.  It provides information on women’s issues; hosts workshops, discussion groups, and special events; offers support and resources for violence, stalking, and sexual assault and harassment, and offers help with navigating personal hardships on campus (ex. roommate problems, interpersonal relationships, and classes).

Contact: Margaret Sloss Women’s Center, 294-4154,,