Student Resources

This list covers SOME of the special campus and community resources available to you as a student at Iowa State.

Academic Resources

Tutors and Supplemental Instruction - Struggling with a class or multiple classes? There are SEVERAL resources available to you on campus. The Academic Success Center can help you with Supplemental Instruction sections, they can help find a tutor, and they can help you hone your study skills. 294-6624

Dropping Classes - If you are struggling in a class and wish to drop it, instructions can be found here:

Withdrawing From ISU - If you are struggling with all your classes, or need to withdraw from Iowa State for any reason, this site offers advice and information on procedures:

Missing Classes During Emergencies - When students are absent due to a crisis situation or unexpected illness and unable to contact their individual instructors directly, the Dean of Students Office can send out an Emergency Notification. 294-1020

Disability Issues - To document ANY disability that affects quality of life and academic performance, call the Student Accessibility Services office. 294-7220

Jury Duty - If you are called to jury duty, consult with this site for options:

Study Abroad - The Ag Study Abroad Office is here to make your education a global one! 294-5393

Study Exchange (Domestic) - National Student Exchange (NSE) has offered students a domestic alternative to study abroad. 294-6479

Academic Grievances - Concerns about academic matters are most appropriately resolved with the instructor or the Department Chair. Any student that feels they have been treated unfairly may file an Appeal of Academic Grievances. See this site:


Student Life Resources

Recreation Services and Intramural Activities - Recreation Services Department offers a wide variety of programs and services that contribute to a healthy mind and body. 294-4980

Fraternities & Sororities - The Greek community of Iowa State University strives to enrich the lives of its members by maintaining scholastic achievement, fostering friendships through brotherhood and sisterhood, enhancing leadership and promoting service. 294-1023

Student Clubs and Organizations - Interested in joining a club or other organization or other student activities available on campus? Student Activities Center can help. 294-8081

International Students - International Student and Scholar Advisers are available to help with immigration, personal, financial and cultural issues. 294-1120

Military Service Assistance - If you are a member of the military who has recently been called to active duty, or if you are returning from recent military service, the Office of Student Assistance can be a resource for you. 294-1020

Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, & Transgender Student Services (LGBTSS) offers support, education, advocacy, and referral on lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender issues. 294-5433

Multicultural Student Affairs uses learning communities, academic enrichment programs, leadership opportunities, classes, workshops and community activities to connect multicultural students to Iowa State and the Ames community and also supports multicultural students as they acclimate to the university. 294-6338 The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Office of Diversity & Inclusion Programs is the college office for Multicultural Student Affairs. 294-8574

Roommate Issues - The roommate agreement form provided by your Community Advisor can help prevent or resolve many common issues. If you are living in the Department of Residence, your Community Advisor or Hall Director are resources that can help resolve the issue or provide other housing options. If you are an off campus student, Student Assistance staff in the Dean of Students office would be happy to hear your concerns and offer advice or resources.

The Women's Center deals with issues of gender equity, harassment, sexual assault, or other issues that affect academic performance and quality of life for all students. The center advocates for individuals and groups; provides support, referrals, community and programming; and maintains a safe space in the Sloss House. 294-4154


Health, Safety and Legal Issues

Safety Escort - If walking to your car or residence hall room leaves you feeling a little uneasy and apprehensive, call ISU Department of Public Safety Escort Service (294-4444). They will be glad to escort you to your destination.

Public Safety/ISU Police - ANY situation that threatens physical safety - yours or others - warrants a call to the Department of Public Safety. Their site is located here: and their NON-EMERGENCY phone number is (515) 294-4428. In case of emergency, call 911 - this number will be routed through Des Moines so you will need to notify the dispatcher that you wish to contact ISU Police

Medical Health Issues - Any health related issues should be referred to the Thielen Student Health Center. Their information can be found on their website, or by calling them at 515-294-5801. Health-related emergencies should go to the emergency room at Mary Greeley Medical Center. 239-2011

Personal or Career Counseling - Student Counseling Services offers a wide variety of services. Nearly HALF of all college students report having been so depressed at some point during college that they could not function. For more information on common mental health issues facing today's college students, including: stress, anxiety, depression, suicidal thoughts, self-injury, relationship problems, physical, sexual, and verbal abuse histories, eating disorders, discrimination, and others Students participating in personal or career counseling at Student Counseling Services may be referred for clinical testing to aid in the counseling or career decision-making process. SCS also offers screening for substance abuse assessment. 294-5056

Legal Advice - For free legal advice and representation in a variety of areas, including landlord/tenant issues, family law, divorce, criminal law, consumer issues or any other legal issues, contact Student Legal Services. 294-0978

Sexual Misconduct/Sexual Assault - If you or someone you know is a victim of sexual misconduct, sexual assault or rape, there are SEVERAL resources available. The primary site for these resources is here:


Confidential Resources

ACCESS (Assault Care Center Extending Shelter and Support) (292-0500): Provides victims with an ACCESS advocate who is trained to assist victims of sexual misconduct and can speak with students confidentially as they process through their experience and consider their options.

ISU Student Counseling Services (SCS) (294-5056): Students can meet with a confidential mental health counselor.

Mary Greeley Medical Center (239-2011)

Planned Parenthood of Ames (877-811-7526)

ISU Thielen Student Health Center (294-5801): Students can meet with a confidential health care provider.


Campus Resources

Dean of Students Office (294-1020): Staff can assist a student in filing formal complaints or, if the student does not want to file a formal complaint, the staff can work with the student to address concerns over housing, class assignments or schedules, leaves of absence, withdrawal or other academic concerns. The office staff can also assist the student in notifying ISU Police or local law enforcement, if the student so requests.

Margaret Sloss Women's Center (MSWC) (294-4154): The MSWC provides support and information through educational outreach, appropriate referral services, and a safe space.

ISU Police Division (294-4428): Contacting ISU Police does not mean a student must pursue criminal charges. ISU Police can advise students of their options, help preserve evidence while they consider options, and assist students in safety planning.


Community Resources

Ames Police Department (Non-Emergency 239-5133, Emergency 911)

Story County Sheriff's Office (382-6581)

Story County Attorney's Office (382-6581)

Victim Assistance Program (382-6581)


Student Finances, Jobs, Internships, and Scholarships

Office of Student Financial Aid handles your financial concerns or financial aid issues. 294-2223

Scholarships - Nearly $1.5 million in scholarships are offered by the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences to our students. 294-9123

Career Planning and Internships - Worried about getting a great internship or finding the perfect job? The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Career Services is one of the very best! 294-4725

Financial Counseling Clinic is a HUD-approved, nonprofit organization dedicated to improving your financial wellbeing through education and counseling in the areas of homeownership, personal finance, and credit. Certified Financial Counselors have skills to assist individuals and families in the complex process of financial decision making.