The Iowa Nutrient Research Center was established by the Iowa Board of Regents in response to legislation passed by the Iowa Legislature in 2013. The center pursues science-based approaches to areas that include evaluating the performance of current and emerging nutrient management practices, and providing recommendations on implementing the practices and developing new practices.
3/26/19 - Request for Proposals – 2019 (FY20) from faculty and staff at Iowa State University, the University of Iowa and University of Northern Iowa to address nitrogen and phosphorus nutrient losses to surface waters. (PDF)
1/10/19 - Accomplishments and Impacts, 2013 - 2018, (PDF)
10/19/18 - INRC Advisory Council - Hansen Ag Student Learning Center, Room 1126, October 31, 9:00-11:00 a.m. - 2018 INRC Advisory Council Meeting Summary
10/8/18 - The projects for 2018-2019 were announced.
12/11/17 - Iowa Nutrient Reduction Strategy Annual Report Available
2/7/17 - Iowa Secretary of Agriculture Bill Northey, Iowa DNR Director Chuck Gipp and Iowa State University College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Associate Dean John Lawrence today highlighted coordination and scaling-up of water quality efforts in presentations before House and Senate Committees in the Iowa Legislature.
1/6/17 - Report highlights progress and long-term challenges of Iowa stream nutrient monitoring.
Resources & Publications
INRC Accomplishments and Impacts, 2013 - 2018 (PDF)
Water Quality Program - Extension and Outreach
Reducing Nutrient Loss: Science Shows What Works - Iowa State University Extension and Outreach publication (SP435A Revised February 2017)
The original legislation identified members of the Center’s advisory council.
- Iowa Secretary of Agriculture
- Administrative director Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship Division of Soil Conservation
- Iowa Department of Natural Resources
- Nutrient researcher, University of Northern Iowa
- Nutrient researcher, State Association of Private Colleges
- Iowa Institute of Hydraulic Research (IIHR) – Hydroscience and Engineering, University of Iowa
- Vice President, Iowa State University Extension and Outreach
- Dean, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Iowa State University
The dean of the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences of Iowa State University appoints the director of the Iowa Nutrient Research Center.
For additional information, contact:
Director, Iowa Nutrient Research Center
3351 Elings Hall
605 Bissell Road
Ames, Iowa 50011-3611