USDA Secretary to Discuss Beginning Farmers at ISU
April 17th, 2007
AMES, Iowa — U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Mike Johanns will discuss beginning farmers at Iowa State University on Tuesday, April 17.
The panel discussion will focus on the Beginning Farmers Title of the Administration's Farm Bill proposals. It will run from noon to 1:30 p.m. in Fisher Theater at the Iowa State Center. The panel, which will be moderated by WHO Radio farm broadcaster Ken Root, will include:
- Secretary Johanns
- Janette Barnard, National FFA vice president, Wilcox, Arizona
- Mike Duffy, director, Iowa State University's Beginning Farmer Center
- Glen Keppy, associate administrator for programs, USDA's Farm Service Agency
- Karey Claghorn, Iowa Deputy Secretary of Agriculture
- Jayme Ungs, vice president and senior lender, US Bank, Boone, Iowa
Wendy Wintersteen, dean of the College of Agriculture at Iowa State, will introduce the panel.
Members of the audience will include Iowa State University students and high school students participating in the 2007 State FFA Leadership Conference this week on campus. Secretary Johanns will address the 5,000 students, teachers and parents attending the conference at 3 p.m. Tuesday in Hilton Coliseum at the Iowa State Center.