Search Launched for Next Dean of Iowa State University’s College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
January 18th, 2018
AMES, Iowa — Iowa State University has launched the search for the Endowed Dean of the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, and Director of the Iowa Agricultural and Home Economics Experiment Station.
The successful candidate will succeed Wendy Wintersteen, who became the university’s 16th president in November. Joe Colletti will continue to serve in the interim roles until the search process concludes.
“This important and high-profile appointment is critical not only for the success of the university, but also for Iowa’s agriculture and biosciences economy,” said Senior Vice President and Provost Jonathan Wickert. “We expect to recruit a leader who will continue to grow the college and build upon the accomplishments of President Wintersteen during the last 11 years.”
The search process will begin with the nomination of high-quality candidates, followed by a review of applications, and interviews of semifinalist and finalist candidates. The search firm of Buffkin/Baker has been retained to assist the committee throughout the process.
David Spalding, Raisbeck endowed dean of the Ivy College of Business, and Guru Rao, associate vice president for research, will co-chair the search committee. Other members of the search committee are:
- Gwyn Beattie, professor, plant pathology and microbiology
- Jamie Benning, program manager, extension water quality
- Steve Berger, Practical Farmers of Iowa
- Theressa Cooper, adjunct assistant professor and assistant dean for diversity
- Doug Gronau, Leopold Center for Sustainable Agriculture board of directors
- Virginia Hanson, agricultural education and studies
- Gregg Hora, Iowa Pork Producers Association
- Steve Johnson, extension field specialist
- Cathy Kling, Charles F. Curtiss Distinguished Professor in Agriculture and Life Sciences, economics, and director of the Center for Agricultural and Rural Development
- Edan Lambert, undergraduate student, animal science
- Ajay Nair, associate professor, horticulture
- Dan Nettleton, Distinguished Professor, statistics
- Mark Recker, Iowa Corn Growers Association
- Skyler Rinker, graduate student, agricultural education and studies
- Max Rothschild, Charles F. Curtiss Distinguished Professor in Agriculture and Life Sciences, animal science
- Beate Schmittmann, dean of liberal arts and sciences
- Suzanne Shirbroun, Iowa Soybean Association
Blair Van Zetten, Oskaloosa Food Products Corp.