January 7 Satellite Broadcast to Address BSE Concerns
January 5th, 2004
The current BSE crisis is impacting Iowa beef producers, andprompting questions from Iowa consumers about the safety of their beef. Asa result, the Iowa Beef Center and Cooperative Extension at Iowa State Universityis offering a satellite broadcast presentation regarding BSE (also knownas mad cow disease) on Wednesday, Jan. 7, from 1-3 p.m. CST.
The program will be broadcast on RFD-TV and also downlinked at more than60 Iowa State University Extension county offices. To find a downlink sitenearyou, visit the Iowa Beef Center Web site at http://www.iowabeefcenter.org to view a list of the counties offering the broadcast. RFD-TV is availabledirectto consumers via DISH Network (9409), DIRECTV (379), Mediacom and NCTC cablesystems. RFD-TV will repeat this program on Wednesday, Jan. 7, from 9 to11 p.m.; Thursday, Jan. 8 from 5 to 7 p.m.; and again on Saturday, Jan.10, from3 p.m. to 5 p.m. (all CST).
The objective of the broadcast is to provide producers and others with anupdate on all facets of the beef industry as well as address consumer concerns.Theagenda will include the following topics:
* Review of TSEs, BSE and the food supply, presented by Nolan Hartwig, extensionveterinarian
* The BSE investigation to date and new USDA regulations, presented by SteveFinch, area emergency coordinator for APHIS, U.S. Department of Agricultureveterinarian
* Cow culling strategies, presented by Leo Timms, extension dairy specialist
* Dead animal disposal and composting, presented by Tom Glanville, extensionagricultural and biosystems engineer
* Feed ban update and strategies, presented by Dan Loy, extension beef specialist
* Market strategies and factors to watch, presented by John Lawrence, extensioneconomist and director of the Iowa Beef Center
The broadcast will close with a panel discussion, when producers and consumersmay call their questions to (515) 294-4911 or (515) 294-5261 and fax questionsto (515) 294-7767 to be addressed by the panel.
A part of Iowa State University Extension, the Iowa Beef Center (IBC) isthe central access point for Iowa State University programs related tothe beefindustry. For more information about the IBC, visit the Web site at www.iowabeefcenter.org or call (515) 294-BEEF. Additional information on BSE is posted on the ISUExtension Web site at http://www.extension.iastate.edu.