Iowa State University College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Awards Annual Scholarships
November 1st, 2017
AMES, Iowa – The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences at Iowa State University has awarded more than 2,250 scholarships to students for this academic year.
The college and its departments award more than $3 million in scholarships each year. Students interested in applying for scholarships should go to https://www.scholarships.cals.iastate.edu for more information and deadlines.
The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences has the third largest undergraduate student body among agricultural colleges in the nation with 5,333 students. Enrollment is 62 percent higher than 10 years ago.
Along with strong scholarship support for freshmen, transfer students and current undergraduate and graduate students, the college continues to attract a record number of students and maintain high placement rates for its graduates.
In October, the college’s Agriculture and Life Sciences Career Day attracted 265 companies and organizations. The fall career day is the largest of its kind in the nation. Placement of the college’s graduates has been 97 percent or higher for 19 consecutive years.
The college also:
• has ranked in the top 10 agricultural colleges in the world four of the last five years.
• has nationally recognized faculty — two professors were elected in 2015 to the prestigious National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine, and since 2006, nine professors have been honored with USDA national awards for excellence in teaching food and agricultural sciences
• has an Agricultural Entrepreneurship Initiative that has produced several student start-up companies, one of which earned the 2015 American Farm Bureau Federation Entrepreneur of the Year.
• has a study abroad program that has sent students to study on all seven continents.
• has award-winning student clubs that help develop global leaders, including best-in-the-nation-honored clubs and judging teams in agricultural business and turfgrass management.
Barb McBreen, Agriculture and Life Sciences Communications Service, (515) 294-0707, email@example.com