Curtiss Classroom Dedication Honors Harold and Rachel Crawford
October 21st, 2011
AMES, Iowa — A dedication for the Harold and Rachel Crawford Agricultural Teacher Education Complex at Iowa State University was held today.
The complex offers state-of-the art equipment for students and office facilities for graduate students. Donors provided more than $110,000 for the renovations.
Harold Crawford, agricultural education and studies professor, received his bachelor's degree in agricultural education in 1950 and began teaching high school vocational agriculture in Iowa. He received both his master's in 1965 and doctorate in 1969 in agricultural education at Iowa State.
After 15 years of teaching, he came to Iowa State in 1965 as an agricultural education instructor, became a professor and then served as department head. He also served as associate dean and director of international agricultural programs in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences at Iowa State.
The idea to dedicate space to honor Crawford began four years ago. Robert Martin, Iowa State agricultural education and studies professor, presented Crawford with a certificate stating that a classroom area would be named in his honor.
"The idea to expand the gift came from Crawford's three sons," Martin said. "We soon had support for the renovations from several donors."
After 57 years, Crawford is still passionate about teaching. He's received numerous awards for his teaching skills including the outstanding international service award, alumni medal for distinguished service to Iowa State and the lifetime achievement award from the Regional, State and National Association of Agricultural Educators. He also received the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences George Washington Carver Distinguished Service Award.