91-Year-Old Plots of Continuous Corn to be Commemorated
October 5th, 2006
AMES, Iowa — A tour and commemoration ceremony of Iowa State University's long-term continuous corn research plots will be Oct. 12.
The plots have been planted in corn since 1915. They were originally part of an extensive crop rotation/soil fertility study established when the agronomic plot work was moved from central campus in 1915 to south of Ames on State Avenue. The land is now part of the ISU Animal Science Teaching Farm complex.
The long-term continuous corn plots have been maintained although the experimental treatments have been modified. They are being named after W.H. Stevenson and P.E. Brown, former ISU soil scientists who were instrumental in establishing the plots. Both were faculty members who served as agronomy department heads.
The tour will be from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. with a brief program at 3 p.m. Directions to the plots: From the intersection of Lincoln Way and State Avenue, proceed south 2 miles, turn west on Zumwalt Road and proceed 1/8 mile. The plots are on the south side of the road.