Reinstatement Requests to the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences

Any student who is dropped from the student roll because of scholastic difficulties may apply for reinstatement by submitting a petition to the College’s Academic Affairs Committee before the beginning of the semester for which reinstatement is requested.

Any student who is dropped will not be reinstated until at least one semester has elapsed. Students dropped at the end of spring semester or summer session will typically not be eligible for reinstatement until the following spring semester. Students dropped for the second time will usually not be considered for reinstatement until at least one calendar year has elapsed since they were dropped.

A letter of petition for reinstatement must contain the following:

  1. A request for the Academic Affairs committee to consider reinstating you for a specific semester and major with the College.
  2. An explanation for the low grades you have made.
  3. A statement of what you have been doing since leaving school.
  4. Reasons why you think you can do better work in the future.
  5. A statement to the effect that you understand if you earn less than a 2.0, you will not expect to return the following semester.

Please be sure that you sign your letter and include your current mailing address and phone number, and please email your signed letter to

Your letter should be addressed to:

Chairman, Academic Affairs Committee
College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
20 Curtiss Hall, Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011

Please contact Mary Clancy at or 515-294-5015 if you have further questions about the process.